Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sugar on the Floor

Etta James passed away yesterday. It struck a chord with me because my father is the one who introduced me to her music.  I remember we would sit together and listen to her albums for hours.  It bonded us, brought us closer.  Sometimes you just need to listen to the blues and there is not many people that can sing it better than she. She sang from the depths of her soul.  She was legendary and the Blues will never be the same with out her. 

Sugar on the floor was 'our song'. We danced to it at my wedding for the father/daughter dance. It was our song but it probably wasn't the best choice for the father/daughter dance as it was about a 7 minute song. I remember us laughing together and every time we would turn towards the DJ we would try and catch his eye to tell him to wrap it up. The DJ wasn't paying attention so around and around we would go, like dancing fools.

In May of 2009 only five months after my father had passed, I went to see Etta James at the House of Blues in Boston. I was excited to be going but couldn't help but feel sad too because I knew if my dad was still alive I would be going with him.  I felt guilty going with out him. The whole way there I had an anxious feeling inside. I had no idea what to expect, what she would sing. I kept trying to tell myself not to get my hopes up.  Here is a woman who has been performing for 50 years and probably has thousands of songs but there was one song in particular that I wanted to hear. I don't remember how many songs it was into her set but all of a sudden chills came over my body as she started to sing Sugar on the Floor. Instantly my eyes welled up with tears. I turned back to look at my mother, jaw agape. As I stood in this crowded place all I could feel was my father and all I could hear was Etta. He wasn't there physically but he was there in spirit. His presence was so strong it overwhelmed me.  I took a deep breath, shaking, while the tears rolled down my face.  I tried to enjoy every second of this moment because I knew how special it was.  There we stood, together side by side, listening to Etta James sing 'our song' to us.  It was a magical gift from his soul to mine. One that I will never forget, one that I needed so badly at that time. Thank you Etta for the wonderful memories your music has given me, I will forever be grateful for that night.  Rest in Peace.

"All I need. 
All I need is somebody to love me.
All I need.
All I need is somebody to care about me, so I won't be wasted.
Ohhh, wasted on the floor."

No comments: